St. George Catholic School
133 West 4th Street
Hermann, MO 65041
School Office Phone
Diocese of Jefferson City
St. George School is a faith-based community which fosters Catholic values while empowering students with strong academics.
Working together to promote Catholic values and stewardship; developing and implementing policies and procedures that provide a safe, Christian environment; promoting self-worth and overall spiritual maturity while recognizing individual differences; integrating spirituality, technology, and problem solving skills through a varied curriculum; identifying and acting on global issues that affect all humanity.
St. George Parish was established in 1847 and the first school was built over 30 years later in 1879.
It was originally staffed by the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood Then the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration staffed the school from 1887-1989. The School Sisters of Notre Dame came in 1989 and remained until 1993. Lay people took over the administration in 1993 and continue to the present.
The campus consists of two buildings, the primary building built in 1917 and the intermediate building built in 1950. The primary building houses Pre-kindergarten through third grade as well as a primary library, and a Title I resource room.
The intermediate building houses grades four through eight and contains the administration offices, fine arts room, multi-media computer lab, science lab, music room, gymnasium and a multi-purpose room.
The Art Room and High School Youth Room is located in the old convent building next to the two school buildings.
The school is visible in the community, not only because of its physical location on the top of the hill, but also by its participation in local events, service projects, sports programs, and the involvement of our alumni and parents throughout the community.
A spirit of stewardship characterizes the school. Children are taught early through example and leadership of the call of service to each other and the church. This is achieved through student mentoring programs, sportsmen-like conduct, service projects, and a discipline policy based upon accountability and Christianity.
Since 1998 progress has been made to the physical facilities through the establishment of a Pre-kindergarten, an after-school-care program, and a science lab. Through volunteer efforts and non-stop fund-raising, the school community has updated the electrical system, installed air-conditioning, addressed energy and safety concerns by replacing windows, lowering the ceilings, adding energy-efficient lighting fixtures, renovating the front entrance of the primary building, and replacing the floors with radiant heat.
Technological advances have realized implementation of the Reading Counts program, administrative software, an on-line grade-book, computer-generated report cards, networked computer lab, wireless networked laptops, iPads, robotics enrichment program, and interactive whiteboards in every classroom. We encourage student inquiry and exploration through the integration of technology. Our primary goal is to develop conceptual understanding because this type of learning is real and lasting.
Click here to view our Staff Directory